Announcing Foresight Linux 2.5.0
Foresight is a Linux distribution for your desktop that features a rolling release schedule that always keeps your desktop up to date; a revolutionary package manager, Conary; the latest GNOME, KDE and Xfce desktop environment and an innovative set of excellent, up to date software applications.
We hope you enjoy using Foresight as much as we do. Because your distro should be cool!
Foresight Linux 2.5.0 Release Notes
- What’s new
- GNOME 2.32.1, KDE 4.6.1 and Xfce 4.8
- Kernel 184.108.40.206
- Tons of new applications and improvements
- Downloading and Installing
- Filing Issues and Bugs
- Getting Help
- Contribute to Foresight Linux
- More information
Foresight 2.5.0 , released March 27th, features the latest stable GNOME, KDE and Xfce desktops, a shiny new kernel, and tons of improvements! This release is for new users as well as for returning users and early adopters! Existing users of our previous 2.1.1. release will be able to update their systems in the following 2 weeks!
GNOME, KDE and Xfce
Foresight features the latest stable versions of GNOME, KDE and Xfce!
- GNOME is a popular, multi-platform desktop environment for your computer. GNOME’s focus is ease of use, stability and first-class internationalisation and accessibility support.
- KDE is dedicated to creating a free and user-friendly computing experience, offering an advanced graphical desktop, a wide variety of applications for communication, work, education and entertainment and a platform to easily build new applications upon.
- Xfce is a lightweight desktop environment for UNIX-like operating systems. It aims to be fast and low on system resources, while still being visually appealing and user friendly.
Foresight also includes the polished and refined Long Term Support 220.127.116.11 Linux kernel. If new and shiny is more your thing, you will be pleased to learn that the newly minted Linux kernel 2.6.38 is currently undergoing shakedown tests by Foresight’s bravest and is slated to become available as a drop-in upgrade in the coming weeks for the adventurous kind!
Tons of new applications and improvements
Foresight brings to you a vast and cool selection of awesome applications to give you and your desktop that little something extra that will make your friends sit up and take notice! We’re proud to ship the very latest and greatest Chromium and Firefox web browsers, Banshee, F-Spot, Openshot, Hotot, Pidgin, Gimp, and many more great applications for your delight!
Downloading and Installing
Downloads are available at our downloads page, where you’ll be able to choose from our GNOME, KDE and Xfce images for both 32-bit and 64-bit systems.
Filing Issues and Bugs
Please report any issues or bugs you encounter while using Foresight 2.5.0. Foresight’s issue tracker, JIRA, is available at https://issues.foresightlinux.org.
Help is available in many forms, and you can choose what you’re most comfortable with.
- IRC: Visit the Foresight IRC channel, #foresight on Freenode, and ask questions. We have one of the most friendly IRC channels you’ll come across with everyone from users to developers reaching out to help answer questions.
- Forums: Our forums continue to grow, and are a good source of information to check if a specific problem or question has come up before.
- Wiki: Documentation on the wiki is growing on a daily basis, with updates often to the Frequently Asked Questions and other how-to’s to get you going with Foresight Linux.
- Mailing Lists:
- General List: Subscribe or view archives at http://lists.rpath.org/mailman/listinfo/foresight-distro
Contribute to Foresight Linux
Foresight Linux has a vibrant and friendly community, ready to assist any level of user. Participation is also welcome and encouraged! There are several different ways to engage with the Foresight community:
- You can find us in #foresight on chat.freenode.net. Foresight users can click the X-Chat GNOME icon in Applications -> Internet menu to access IRC
- Contribute to the Foresight Wiki
- Package and maintain software. Visit the Developer Wiki at http://wiki.foresightlinux.com/confluence/display/DEV/Foresight+Linux+Development for more information
You can find more information about Foresight on our website at http://www.foresightlinux.org.
If you’re new to using Foresight, please check out the Getting Started with Foresight User Guide. Click on System -> User Guide. The User Guide contains information on installing software, adding MP3 and DVD support, and an overview of commonly used applications.
Ask live questions in IRC on the Freenode network in the #foresight channel.
Thanks to the entire Foresight Linux crew all the developers and users who contributed to and helped test this release.
Thank you for using Foresight. Because your distro should be cool!
Trackback from your site.