Foresight Kid’s Edition 1.0 Release Notes
Foresight Kid’s Edition is a Linux distribution for children that features a number of education and entertainment applications, as well as the benefits of the Foresight GNOME Edition: a rolling release schedule that always keeps your desktop up to date; a revolutionary package manager, Conary; a customized GNOME desktop environment and an innovative set of excellent, up to date software applications.
We hope you enjoy using Foresight as much as we do. Because your kid’s computer should be cool.
The Foresight Kid’s Edition is the first release of Foresight for children. The Kid’s Edition features a number of eductational and entertainment applications for children. The Foresight Kid’s Edition also features a customized GNOME desktop, with one panel, and a new menu layout, making it easy to find the software that you want to run.
The Foresight Kid’s Edition features the following applications:
- Tuxpaint, an award winning drawing program for children ages 3-12.
- Tux Typing, and educational typing tutor for children.
- GCompris, an educational software suit that includes many different activities for children ages 2 to 10.
- Tux, of Math Command, an education arcade game starring Tux based on the class game “Missile Command”.
Entertainment and Games
- SuperTux, a classic 2D jump ‘n run sidescroller with a similar style to the original SuperMario games.
- SuperTuxKart, a 3D kart racing game featuring numerous tracks, characters and items.
- Foobilliard, a 3D billiards / pool game.
- GNU Chess, a chess game.
- Super Maryo Chronicles, a 2D side scroller game featuring many different stages and levels..
Internet and Media Applications
- F-Spot Photo Manager
- Firefox Web Browser
- Pidgin Instant Messenger
- Banshee Media Player
- Totem Movie Player
The Foresight GNOME edition repositories are available to Kid’s Edition Users. You can install additional software, such as OpenOffice.org or other applications. To search for additional software, click on the Administration menu and then Add / Remove Software.
Downloading and Installing
The Foresight Kid’s Edition is available for download at http://www.foresightlinux.org/kids.html
Thanks to Ken VanDine, Antonio Meireles, Paul Cutler and all the developers and users who contributed to this release. Please file any bugs!
Thank you for using Foresight. Because your kid’s computer should be cool.
Trackback from your site.